your slow hung-over... in a night out in the neighborhood.

Friday, December 28, 2007

What could have been Pakistan's only Democratic hope: Benazir Bhutto

I was super shocked when I knew that Benazir Bhutto was assassinated just like how I was shocked when I know my classmate in highschool got pregnant and the father is my cousin.

I can't say that my Christmas holiday was ruined but certainly it made my world turn 180 degrees.

I can't stop staring at the blank spaces on the wall where I could do something better of my time. I can't help but wonder about what could happen in the future for Pakistan. I'm not really a fan of Islamic "rogue-ish" countries but it just hurts me so bad that a person who could have changed that nations entire democratic future just died in an unexpected day. I can't believe that even if it's the time of Hanukkah, people in these countries still live in such terrorized environment. Why can't they just stop? I hate to think about it.

Lately, before my first semester ended, I was having an onset of motivated critical and political upsurge in my brain that it made me watch BBC. I even read some articles online (i.e. political and social commentaries around the world)--I love http://www.guardian.co.uk/. It was few weeks ago, and I certainly knew a few bits and pieces about what's happening in Pakistan.

I thought Pakistan is just like other Islamic countries facing the same problems about Muslim extremism and what not. What I read was certainly not a news to me at all. Their situation is indifferent with the rest of the Islamic world, or for some reasons, even U.S. President George Bush is having problems with them since then. Almost ever super power nations have a problem with, thus, it doesn't makes me wonder again. Actually, what I considered news was when Iraq stopped their nuclear proliferation--that is certainly a news, but Pakistan didn't matter to me.

And now, the unexpected happening entirely devastated my foundation of democracy. I didn't know that this event was coming. I, myself, don't even have anything to do with Pakistan--I am not connected in whatsoever. But just like the rest of the world, I was watching. I began to care about the realities of what may seem to be history in the making. I don't often catch the entire sense of it, but I'm trying to understand. Actually, I don't really know the whole story.

I don't know who killed who, what started what and which triggered which.

What I know is that these events are the escalation of some history long before written by the scholars we know today. I don't give a damn to know the entirety of everything, but at least I know where I stand.

To Benazir Bhutto, to the hopes that were shattered, and to the people who believe in democracy, it may not be a perfect idea, but it is worth fighting for.

No comments:

this is yo[u]

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals